- Top Rated Lightweight Vacuums for Elderly Comparison Chart
- Best Lightweight Vacuums for Elderly Reviews (Updated Picks)
- 1. Shark Rocket HV382 DuoClean Ultra-Light Bagless Corded Vacuum
- 2. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 3. Shark Rocket HV302 Upright and Ultralight Corded Vacuum
- 4. Shark Rocket HV322 Upright Ultra-Light Vacuum
- 5. Hoover Cordless Linx Signature BH50020PC Stick Vacuum
- 6. Shark IonFlex DuoClean Ultra-Light Cordless Vacuum IF251
- 7. BLACK + DECKER HCUA525J PowerSeries Cordless Vacuum
- 8. Shark Navigator SV1106 Cordless Upright Stick Vacuum
- 9. Bissell 81L2A PowerEdge Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- 10. Bissell Lightweight 3-in-1 Corded Lightweight Stick Vacuum
- Key Things to Consider Before Choosing the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly
- Wrap Up
Regardless of how old you are, dragging around a bulky vacuum cleaner is never fun (we’d say the same about doing chores but let’s not go there). Sadly, it doesn’t get any better as you age and you definitely need to worry about back problems and arthritis.
Fortunately, there are several ways to make vacuuming a less tedious activity, and that starts by investing in a lightweight vacuum cleaner for seniors. These appliances aren’t as heavy and won’t break your budget either.
But how would you differentiate a lightweight vacuum cleaner from a regular one? Rest assured, we’ve created this comprehensive guide to help you narrow down the best products on the market right now.
Top Rated Lightweight Vacuums for Elderly Comparison Chart
Before we take a deep dive into each product review, here’s a quick visual guide of some of the premium lightweight vacuums for the elderly. Our team has gone through the trouble of handpicking these high-quality products so that you don’t have to repeat the same process!
|Best Seniors Vacuum 2020||Corded or Cordless||Weight||Price|
|Shark Rocket HV382||Corded||9.9 lbs||Check Price|
|Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS||Corded||12.3 lbs||Check Price|
|Shark Rocket HV302||Corded||7 lbs||Check Price|
|Shark Rocket HV322||Corded||9.1 lbs||Check Price|
|Hoover BH50020PC||Cordless||7.3 lbs||Check Price|
|Shark IONFlex DuoClean IF251||Cordless||8.7 lbs||Check Price|
|BLACK + DECKER HCUA525J||Cordless||8 lbs||Check Price|
|Shark Navigator SV1106||Cordless||7.5 lbs||Check Price|
|Bissell PowerEdge 81L2A||Corded||7.5 lbs||Check Price|
|Bissell Lightweight 3-in-1 Vacuum||Corded||4.05 lbs||Check Price|
Best Lightweight Vacuums for Elderly Reviews (Updated Picks)
Our top 10 lightweight vacuums don’t weigh a ton, are easy to maneuver and can be used on multiple surfaces. With this list of excellent vacuum cleaners, you’ll be able to filter out an appropriate fit to match your needs. So here goes the first one:
1. Shark Rocket HV382 DuoClean Ultra-Light Bagless Corded Vacuum
- Duoclean technology: Dual brushroll system deep cleans carpets and directly engages floors for a polished look.
- Includes DuoClean Technology for intense cleaning
- Changes into a lightweight hand vac
- Pet multi tool – great for cleaning pet hair
- LED lights can be found on the floor nozzle
- Accessories included: wall mount storage, crevice tool, storage hook
The HV382 is the ultimate lightweight corded vacuum that you’d want to get your hands on, it is a bagless model and features a futuristic stick design. You can easily convert it into a lightweight hand vacuum that only weighs 46 lbs. It features an intense DuoClean Technology that includes a sturdy bristle brush that you can use to deep clean carpets. It also offers a soft brush roll that works well for cleaning floors giving it a nice polished look.
And if you’ve got a pet and are tired of cleaning up all that extra pet hair, this model also uses a Pet Multi-Tool. And best of all, the floor nozzle also features LED lights that enable you to spot hidden debris that would have otherwise gone unnoticed. Your purchase will also comprise of different accessories such as the crevice tool, pet tool, and wall mount storage hook that will make cleaning much easier.
- Incredibly lightweight – great for senior citizens
- DuoClean Technology that ensures deep cleaning
- Great value for money
- Can be used on a range of surfaces
- Brushroll may fall off after consistent use
- Warranty isn’t that outstanding
2. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Easy to use at 9 pounds for transportation from room to room and up stairways
- Helping handle which makes vacuum easy to maneuver
- Micro sweep technology for ultra-cleaning
- Compact, low profile design
- High-speed roller brush
- Disposable bag
If you’d rather prefer the traditional upright model, the Oreck XL2100RHS is an excellent fit. It features a 35-foot long cord that makes it easier to use for hard-to-reach-spots, it also saves you the trouble from having to switch outlets often. You can use it on multiple surfaces, including hard floors, carpets, and even underneath desks and furniture. This vacuum only weighs 8 pounds, which makes it best lightweight vacuum cleaner for the elderly.
For extra convenience, the vacuum also includes an on-off switch which is fingertip controlled. Overall, the XL2100RHS is super easy to push and carry around. This also makes it a great option for senior citizens who cannot lift heavy weights or are suffering from bad knees.
- Ultra lightweight upright design
- 35-foot long cord for added convenience
- Easy to maneuver and push around
- An upright design that saves space
- No attachments/accessories
- Can be very loud to use
3. Shark Rocket HV302 Upright and Ultralight Corded Vacuum
- Never loses suction or power
- Incredibly lightweight vacuum – weighs just 7 pounds
- Versatile machine can be used on hard floors and carpets
- Features swivel steering
- Long cord that adds up convenience
The Shark Rocket Upright HV302 is another impressive bagless vacuum on our list. Its pretty versatile as far as vacuum cleaners are considered, which means you can use it on various surfaces. It is suitable for most above-the-floor tasks and can work for plenty of hours without losing suction. You can use it to clean bare floors and really get the dirt out of your carpets.
On top of all that, it’s incredibly lightweight, weighing only 7 pounds. Since this is a corded vacuum, you won’t have to worry about recharging it from time to time. It features swivel steering and is generally easy to maneuver. You can also convert it into a small handheld vacuum for cleaning the couches and furniture.
- Dust canister is easy to empty
- Lightweight design
- Multipurpose vacuum can be turned to a handheld one
- Comes with a brand warranty
- Design flaw – does not include a hose
4. Shark Rocket HV322 Upright Ultra-Light Vacuum
- POWERFUL SUCTION: Thorough deep carpet cleaning, and powerful pet hair pickup on all surfaces.
- A 2-in-1 vacuum that cleans carpets and floors
- Versatile model
- 30-feet long cord
- Includes accessories: crevice tool, pet tool, and wall mount
Shark Rocket HV322 is a 2-in-1 vacuum that does an amazing job in cleaning your hardwood floors and carpets. Overall, it’s quite convenient to use and proves to be quite versatile. It encompasses a few attachments that help you get the job done easily, this includes a wall mount, crevice tool, pet-multi tool, and an attachment to clean hardwood floors. Furthermore, you’ll also be pleased to know that the cord length is 30 feet long, which means you won’t have to worry about replugging the appliance.
This vacuum is also an excellent choice if you want to remove pet hair effectively. Overall, the vacuum is ergonomic and easy to use. You can clean the filters with push of a button or even wash it down in your kitchen sink – perfect for seniors.
- Excellent suction power
- Easy to use
- Good for elderly with pets
- 30 feet long cord
- Can be heavy for petite folks
- A little expensive for this size model
5. Hoover Cordless Linx Signature BH50020PC Stick Vacuum
- NEW ITEM AVAILABLE: Linx product line will be discontinued from the Manufacturer. Please visit the Hoover ONEPWR Evolve Pet (BH53420PC) page for the new version
- Interchangeable batteries, cordless design
- Intense WindTunnel Technology
- Powerful cleaning bristles that effectively remove dirt
- 2-year limited warranty
The Hoover BH50020PC is a cordless vacuum that everybody would like to buy instantly. Its cordless design eliminates the risks of tripping over wires, which can be particularly dangerous for senior citizens. Not only this, the interchangeable batteries also ensure that you have the freedom to clean wherever you want. It uses an intense WindTunnel Technology that creates channels of suction. While, the extreme recline handle is capable of reaching under sofas and furniture making spring cleaning a breeze.
We’re also a fan of cleaning bristles that successfully remove pet hair, dirt, and debris from hard to reach corners and edges. The good news is that you can also use this vacuum on several surfaces since it makes an easy transition from floors to carpets.
- Cordless design offers better mobility
- Increased suction
- Can be used on numerous surfaces
- High recline handle
- Battery lasts about 25 minutes of use
- Waiting for battery to get charged can be tiresome
6. Shark IonFlex DuoClean Ultra-Light Cordless Vacuum IF251
- Cordless design, easy to use
- Duo clean technology
- 2 rechargeable batteries
Meet the Shark IONFlex 2X IF251 – a cordless easy to use vacuum that definitely deserves a spot on our list of lightweight vacuum cleaners for elderly. It features DuoClean technology featuring the combination of soft roller and bristle brush. This allows the vacuum to pick up dirt and debris from carpets and floors. It also uses two rechargeable ION Power Packs which means you can charge one of the batteries while you’re using the machine. This makes sure that you don’t have to bother about running out of power, which can be a major problem with cordless models.
Thanks to its versatile vertical design, it does an excellent job at cleaning ceilings and hard to reach areas. For those interested, this vacuum is incredibly lightweight for aged people that makes you forget about bad knees and shoulder aches.
Being a functional model, you can effectively use it for above-floor cleaning of shelves and corners. On top of that, it also converts into an easy to use a handheld vacuum.
- Includes two rechargeable batteries
- Upright, vertical design
- Easy storage and convenient to use
- Limited runtime, batteries don’t last long
The original product is out of stock, check out this closest alternative:
- Dust cup capacity - 0.3 quarts. Removable ION Power Pack lithium-ion battery
7. BLACK + DECKER HCUA525J PowerSeries Cordless Vacuum
- 2-in-1 easy to use vacuum
- Adjustable suction
- Offers floor-to-ceiling cleaning
- Includes accessories
The Black + Decker HCUA525J is an awesome 2-in-1 vacuum that’s probably been missing in your cleaning routine. It offers excellent floor-to-ceiling vacuuming that will ensure your house remains spick and span. With cutting-edge Smartech technology, it automatically adjusts suction based on given surface. This makes cleaning much easier while the dust compactor bears a large capacity to hold more dirt, so you don’t have to empty it much often.
Unlike most cordless vacuums in the market, this model includes a battery indicator along with a touch pad system for user-friendliness. You may use it to control the LED light or suction speed. You’ll be also pleased to know that the HCUA525J includes additional accessories such as an upholstery brush, crevice tool, washable filter kit, and a 6-inch nozzle.
- Cordless vacuum – good for seniors
- Includes a battery indicator
- Comes with accessories
- Includes LED light
- Not suitable for long pile rugs
- Poor battery life
- LIGHTWEIGHT CORDLESS CONVENIENCE: Portable, powerful and versatile, at only 7.5 lbs.
- Offers rechargeable batteries
- Just weighs about 75 pounds
- Takes 4 hours to charge
- Simple to empty dust canister
The Shark Navigator SV1106 is a superb cordless vacuum that performs a decent job across the board. It can be used for a variety of surfaces and offers spotless cleaning. You may use it on both carpets and bare floors. Its suction power is quite strong and you can use the vacuum for long periods of time. With a powerful motorized brush, it does a pretty good job at removing pet hair. The advanced swivel steering makes the vacuum easy to navigate making it one of the finest lightweight vacuum cleaners for old folk.
We also like how the SV1106 includes a large dust cap that offers a larger capacity to hold dust and debris. It also boasts a top and bottom design which makes it easier for users to empty canister without getting in contact with dirt. Overall, this is an ideal vacuum for elders who also happen to own pets at home.
- Comfortable to use
- Lightweight and versatile
- Easy to operate
- Canister is small and fills up quickly
9. Bissell 81L2A PowerEdge Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- V-shaped foot that picks up large and small particles
- Awesome for cleaning dust and pet hair
- Features bagless cleaning technology
- Swivel steering system
Bissell PowerEdge Vacuum stands apart from the rest because of its V-shaped foot. This unique design element ensures that you can clean difficult spots with ease. The center of V-shaped path picks up larger particles while ends of it successfully picks up fine debris. It features a unique squeegee system that does an excellent job in collecting dirt and pet hair, ensuring your hard floors remain clean. Seniors can smoothly clean around furniture, thanks to its swivel steering system. The coolest thing is that Bissel PowerEdge features a bagless cleaning technology that also eliminates dust involvement. Overall, there aren’t any deal breakers when purchasing this vacuum for the money.
- Powerful suction
- Unique squeegee system
- Lightweight and user-friendly
- Some customers did report a design flaw
The original product is out of stock, check out this closest alternative:
- Lightweight convertible stick vacuum
10. Bissell Lightweight 3-in-1 Corded Lightweight Stick Vacuum
- 3-in-1 stick vacuum
- 16 feet cord that is long enough for majority applications
- Can be converted to a handheld vacuum
If you’re looking for a smooth stick vacuum then this one is a pretty good option. The Bissell 3-in-1 model can be used for cleaning hardwood floors, rugs, carpets, etc. It also features a quick release handle that works well for stair cleaning. You can also use it for cleaning upholstery and countertops.
Plus, the model is bagless so you don’t have to worry about replacing it from time to time. It includes a canister which you can conveniently emptied out.
- Bagless model for added support
- Lightweight stick model is effortless to carry around
- All-around model that can be used for multiple applications
- Some users complain that previous models were relatively better
- Not a better choice for cleaning larger areas
Key Things to Consider Before Choosing the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly
You obviously don’t want to invest in a vacuum that’s either too bulky or hard to maneuver. So, before you rush out and pull the trigger on the most expensive vacuum for seniors, here are a couple of important factors you should to keep in mind.
It’s crucial to shop for a vacuum that has all the bells and whistles turned on. Depending upon functionality, here are some of the most popular types of cleaners that you can buy for the money:
- Upright Vacuum: These are your usual everyday vacuums that you can use on hardwood floors or carpets (depending on its construction).
- Backpack Vacuum: As the name suggests, this type can be conveniently carried on your back. However, we would definitely not recommend these products for elderly people.
- Self-Propelled Vacuums: These models are super easy to maneuver and are significantly lightweight.
- Handheld Vacuum: Highly portable and good for cleaning furniture, couches and car interiors.
- Pet Vacuums: Specifically designed to pick up dander and pet hair.
- Canister Vacuum Cleaners: These are bagless models that contain a dust canister which you can empty and clear out.
- Robotic Vacuum: Thanks to technology, we now have robotic vacuums that work without any supervision. These are a perfect fit for senior citizens who suffer from back problems, arthritis or bad knees. The downsides of these units are being quite expensive and only moderately effective.
When shopping around for a lightweight vacuum, you will come across two main types: corded and cordless machines. Note here that both these types have their own advantages and disadvantages. As the name indicates, corded vacuums feature a long cord. While working with these products, you do not need to charge them however there is always risk of tripping and falling. Furthermore, corded appliances tend to be more powerful than their cordless counterparts and deliver superior suction power.
On the other hand, cordless vacuums feature rechargeable batteries. It is always good to invest in a product that offers spare batteries for extra convenience. While this type is easy to use and offers higher portability, cordless machines often run out of power within 20 minutes or even 10 minutes. Hence, it’s a good idea to read actual customer reviews before purchasing a cordless vacuum.
– Suction Power
The greater the suction power, the faster you’ll be able to vacuum your floors and carpet. So, buy a model with greater suction power. Most corded vacuums are highly powerful and get the job done with flying colors.
– On/Off Switch Location
Nothing can be worse than having to bend your back each time in order to turn on or off your device. While this seems like a minor problem, it causes a significant discomfort to elderly with backaches and knee pains. Make sure that on/off switch is placed in a convenient location. This will increase comfort and eliminate the need to bend down frequently.
– Bagged Or Bagless
Vacuum cleaners are available in both bagged and bagless versions. Bagless appliances often come with disposal bags that collect dirt and need to be replaced. This can be inconvenient and expensive at times, especially if you’ll need to invest in vacuum bags separately. On the other hand, bagless models include a canister or cup which you can easily empty. The only downside is that you’ll be coming in close contact with dirt that can be irritating especially if you’re already suffering from allergies.
– Type of Floor
Always ensure that your chosen vacuum is well-suited for your home environment. If you have hardwood floors, you’ll need to pick a device that can effectively get the job done. Not all vacuums are compatible with hardwood flooring or carpets, so you’ll need to make your decision wisely. You may also look for an all-rounder vacuum that can be used on multiple type of surfaces.
Apart from type of flooring, you may also need to take various factors into account. If you have a pet and are worried about dander and pet hair, you’re better off picking a vacuum that comes with an extra accessory. Those models that can convert into handheld cleaners is also a good call, since you’ll be able to use them in furniture.
This makes versatility is a key aspect to consider, since you are paying top dollar for an appliance so you may as well get maximum use out of it.
– Full Indicator
If you’re planning to choose a cordless vacuum, it’s recommended to purchase one that offers a battery indicator. Without an indicator, you’ll never know when your machine will run out of power or if it is fully charged. This can be annoying if you want to go for a thorough cleaning spree.
Plus, without a battery indicator, you are likely to leave batteries being charged for multiple hours which is frankly, a waste of electricity and also reduces battery’s life! Save yourself from the hassle and grab a vacuum that comes with battery indicator instead.
Self-propelled models are easier to maneuver and are generally lightweight. This is a great feature for elderly who don’t want to work with heavy appliances.
– Weight and Maneuverability
Of course, weight and maneuverability are critical factors to keep in mind even if you’re young. But since this guide is for seniors, we’ll have to emphasise that carrying or dragging around a heavy vacuum is simply out of the question. You could hurt your back or suffer from a painful injury in the long run. For old-timers, it is recommended that you opt for something that’s weightless and easy to maneuver. Steer clear of anything that weighs more than 15 pounds.
Besides weight, you’ll also need to select a vacuum that’s rather smooth to move around and steer. This will make it easier for you to get your daily tasks done.
– Retractable Cord
A retractable cord is helpful to store and manage. In most cases, you’ll find a button that you can press and the cord will wind back itself inside the safe compartment. This reduces significant hassle and potential accidents. However, in some models, you may need to wrap the cord yourself manually. Opt for whatever method that seems more convenient for you.
Storing a bulky appliance isn’t going to be easy. This is why you’re better off buying a vacuum that’s lightweight and won’t take up much space. You can also get a model that comes with a wall mount. In this way, you can intelligently hook up the unit to the mount for storage.
Similarly, if you’re ordering a corded vacuum, we suggest you go for a model that uses retractable cord. This will save time and enable you to store your device more quickly.
What’s the point of spending money in an expensive appliance, if it is likely to break or ruin within a few months? For these reasons, always invest in a model that comes with a solid warranty. This secures your purchase and ensures that you can always get a replacement product in case anything goes wrong with your machine.
To wrap it all up, stay clear of appliances that are too bulky or difficult to handle. You’re better off investing in a lightweight model that offers multiple attachments and comes with a decent warranty. We’d also recommend you to read a whole bunch of consumer reviews before you finally end up buying a lightweight vacuum for seniors.
Is there something else you’d like to add? Let us know in the comment section below.