Steam cleaning is one way to keep your home clean without resorting to the use of harmful chemicals. Pressurized steam sanitizes surfaces, removes stains and deep cleans flooring and fabrics.
Even better, it is safe for pets and small children along with leaving your home smelling fresh and clean. Fortunately, we now have so many affordable and convenient choices for multi-purpose steam cleaners available on the market.
Top Rated Multi Purpose Steam Cleaners Comparison Chart
Here is a quick list of the most highly rated multi-purpose steam cleaners. We’ve provided some of the key details in our comparison chart and ranked them from top to bottom based on their features. Of course, you will also want to read our full in-depth reviews below so that you have all of the information you need to make an informed decision.
|Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners 2020||Steam Temperature||Heating Time||Capacity/Clean Time||Price|
|Dupray Neat Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner||Up to 275°F||7 minutes||1600 ml, 50 min||Check Price|
|Pure Enrichment PureClean XL Rolling Steam Cleaner||-||8 minutes||1500 ml, 45 min||Check Price|
|Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner||200° F||8 minutes||45 ounce, 45 min||Check Price|
|McCulloch MC1275 Canister Steam Cleaner||-||8 minutes||48 ounce, 45 min||Check Price|
|Homegear X100 Portable Multi Purpose Steam Cleaner||284° F||7-8 minutes||0.26 gallons, 37.5 min||Check Price|
|Sienna Luna Plus Handheld Steam Mop SSM-3016||212° F||39 seconds||15.2 ounces||Check Price|
|Bocca Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner||226.4° F||5 minutes||2000 ml, 40 min||Check Price|
|Bissell BigGreen Commercial Steam Cleaner BGST500T||-||-||50 ounce, 45 min||Check Price|
Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners 2020 Reviews
When it comes to steam cleaners, you’ll want one that is powerful, heats up quickly, and is easy to use. There are a number of excellent choices available in multiple price brackets to find something to fit your budget. It is amazing to find that some of them are very close to professional models in performance and cleaning ability. All multi-purpose steam cleaners come in a variety of sizes that range from larger models that are a perfect match for carpets & whole rooms to smaller units which are quite handy for spills and spots.
With our comprehensive reviews, we aim to provide you with an opinion based on our experiences with these products. You can read all the product features with its pros and cons before you rush out and pull the trigger on the most expensive multipurpose steam cleaner. That being said, finding the right cleaner for your needs maybe different from ours. It is because of the fact that only you know what is best for you and your family, so be sure to take your individual circumstances and needs into account before selecting any product.
We continually search for the latest information about our product selections and the latest models, so be sure to stop back often. This buying guide provides an opinion about how well these products perform and their suitability for certain applications around the home. Be sure to read the full product information provided by the manufacturer before making your final decision. So, without further ado, let us now proceed with our top-rated picks for multi-purpose steam cleaners for 2020.
1. Dupray Neat Multi Purpose Steam Cleaner
- Superheats steam up to 275 degrees Fahrenheit
- 50 minutes of cleaning time per fill up
- Floor cleaning with a regular towel or cloth
In our opinion, this is the best multipurpose steam cleaner among all the ones that we reviewed so far. One of the things that we love about this cleaner is that it heats up in whooping seven minutes only. In addition, the steam coming out of this unit is super-hot, which means that it is rightly equipped with all the cleaning power that is needed to kill majority of germs on variety of surfaces. So, we do have complete confidence that this unit works as it is supposed to in terms of its cleaning ability.
On top of all that, it comes with a large tank and can operate for a long period of time. This comes in real handy if you want to clean a large section of your house at once. Although, the advertised time for cleaning is about 50 minutes, but we found that it was closer to 45 minutes in reality. Nonetheless, that timing was still quite enough to get the job done efficiently.
Furthermore, it uses a cleaning hose that is over 6 feet long and can reach anything that we want to in a room with 8-foot ceilings. Not only this, it performs an excellent job of cleaning the crown molding as well. We were also delighted to see the number of cleaning attachments it can use to perform almost any job across the board. Overall, we feel that this unit works exactly as advertised, and that it did an excellent cleaning job. In our opinion, this multi-purpose steam cleaner is as close as you can get in a professional unit for your home.
2. Pure Enrichment PureClean XL Rolling Steam Cleaner
- Powerful 1500 Watts
- 18 deep cleaning accessories
- Long power cord
- Uses pressurized steam
The only reason why we rated this second is because it uses a 3-point wheel system and is little easier to tip over. For the most part this was not problematic at all, however when the unit gets close to empty, it is likely to get tipped over if you stretch the hose too far. This is the only downside we found in this multipurpose steam cleaner.
The manufacturer claims that it can heat up within 8 minutes and can provide steam for up to 45 minutes. We found that it worked exactly as advertised and that this steam lasted for approximately the said time. In comparison with other steam cleaners, it uses a large tank and produces powerful steam. Due to its larger capacity, you do not need to keep coming back to fill up the container. The steam coming out of this unit is pressurized, and it performed a decent job of removing grease from stove tops. When tested on a carpet stain, it removed the stain as efficiently as with a commercial unit that you can rent. It is also a much safer machine for those with small children who often have accidents. When it comes to cleaning a grill, it also removes the debris quite easily.
All in all, the pure enrichment steam cleaner works as it is advertised and is a fine alternative to renting a commercial steamer. It is possible to do carpets with this unit, but you may need to tackle this job in small sections. However, when compared to the inconvenience and cost of renting a commercial unit, this is a much better substitute in our opinion.
3. Steamfast SF-370WH Multipurpose Steam Cleaner
- 1500-watt steamer
- 45 minutes of steam
- 15 accessories
- Ability to lock on continuous steam
It is a heavy-duty steam cleaner with a water capacity of 45 ounces. This means that it is can tackle tough jobs with ease, but how does it work? First off, it heats up quickly in just about eight minutes and its steam lasts for about 45 minutes, which makes it perfect for a wide range of jobs. On top of that, it weighs only about 8.4 pounds, so you can easily move it around where you need to clean. We also found that it was great for cleaning curtains and walls. The power cord is about 15.4 feet, which is about as long as your standard vacuum cleaner cord. In terms of cleaning power, this steam cleaner is also really powerful and did a perfect job in cleaning most of the areas.
4. McCulloch MC1275 Canister Steam Cleaner
- 48-ounce large capacity water tank
- 18 accessories
- Chemical-free cleaning
- Extra-long power cord
- Extra-long steam hose
The McCulloch MC1275 is designed for doing large steam cleaning jobs such as carpets, and it also deep cleans the whole house. It works great for this purpose and is affordable for majority people. However, there are several factors that you may need to consider that ranked it lower in our comparison chart.
Of all our favorite features, it offers an extra-long cord that can reach almost anywhere in an average room. Not only this, it also uses an extensive hose, which makes it easy to reach tall ceilings. However, this long hose also seemed to lower down the pressure because the steam had to travel a longer distance. As per the manufacturer, it puts out 43 PSI, but that seems to be related to the pressure at point of emission. In actual, the steam coming out of the hose end did not seem to be pressurized to that extent. Yet, we found that this unit did a good job and was sufficient for average cleaning that needs to be done around the home.
Some of the coolest things about this steam cleaner are the offered number of accessories and it also works as a steam floor mop. The versatility of this unit is one of the things that we liked about it. All in all, if you are looking for a budgeted steam cleaner and only have average cleaning jobs to perform, this would be the one that we would pick.
5. Homegear X100 Portable Professional Multi Surface Steam Cleaner
- Smaller unit
- Heats in 8 minutes
- Holds 0.26 gallons of water
- Overheating protection
- Superheated steam
All in all, this is one of the best multi-purpose steam cleaners that we’ve tested as far as lower priced units are concerned. It is a small cleaner and extremely portable to move from one place to another. One of the good features is that it heats the steam to 280 degrees Fahrenheit, which is enough to kill broad spectrum of bacteria and viruses. However, this is a low steam pressure unit and will not handle tough jobs such as cleaning a grill.
We love how portable it is but only uses an approximately 5-foot hose. This made reaching ceilings and tall places a little difficult for us. However, this chore was easy to overcome by just picking up the unit because it was light enough to do so. This means that you have both your hands occupied, rather than one hand free for taller surfaces. It was one of the main disadvantages that we saw with this unit.
On the positive side, the Homegear X100 is best for medium sized jobs and quick cleanups, but it would not be our choice for doing a large areas such as an entire carpeted room. Furthermore, it is a smaller unit and does not possess highly pressurized steam capabilities. It comes loaded with the most basic attachments that you’ll need for the most common jobs encountered around the home.
6. Sienna Luna Plus Handheld Steam Mop SSM-3016
- Uses Sonic Micro Pulse Vibration Technology
- Heats up extremely quick
- Perfect steam mop for flat surfaces
- Plenty of attachments
This unit was more suitable as a steam mop, and for that purpose, we think it worked great. It is not the most powerful in terms of pressure, but we were surprised by its cleaning capabilities when it comes to deep cleaning surfaces, such as flooring. It uses pulse technology that seems to enhance the pressure, even though it is not as robust as other units. Furthermore, it does not superheat the water, but it heats it to 212 degrees Fahrenheit, which is sufficient for killing most bacteria and viruses.
This model is considered a steam mop, so it is not as portable as the pull along units. One of the great features about this type of mop is that you can use it to quickly remove wrinkles from your clothes. This would not be the best unit for cleaning grills or other heavily soiled surfaces. However, if you just want to disinfect your floors, counters, or flat surfaces, this would be the perfect choice.
7. Bocca All Purpose Steam Cleaner
- Large capacity 2.0 liter tank
- Heats water to 226.4 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pressurized steam for deep cleaning
- Ability to control the steam pressure
This is a good quality multi-purpose steam cleaner that is great for doing large areas such as carpets and smaller jobs like cleaning grills or cleaning up spills. On the downside, it does not offer the same number of attachments like other units do, but offers everything you need for most jobs.
One of its features is a curved handle, supposedly to make it more convenient. Whether this handle is comfortable or not is just a matter of personal opinion. Using this handle, there is a little disadvantage to get into tighter spaces. In some cases, it only makes it harder to get under places such as sofa or bed.
Overall, this unit is optimal for a wide range of jobs. We love its large tank and it did seem to operate continually for about 40 minutes as claimed by the manufacturer. However, this huge tank also makes it heavier, especially when full. Overall, this is a wonderful steam cleaner and we would’ve ranked it higher if it was not for the convenience factor involving its handle and weight.
8. Bissell BigGreen Commercial Hercules Vapor Scrub Steam Cleaner BGST500T
- Commercial grade unit
- 50-ounce tank
- 45 minutes of cleaning time per fill
- Powerful pressured steam
Bissell is considered one of the top brands when it comes to vacuums and steam cleaners. They are manufacturers of many of the larger machines that you can probably rent from a store. Their extensive experience in making commercial grade steam cleaners is one of the main reasons why we recommend this product. It works as advertised and it does a decent job across the board.
One of the flaws of this model is that you cannot see the water levels as you are filling the tank. The manual says that you should not overfill, but it is difficult to see as you are getting close. This is one thing that we would like to change about this model. Apart from that, it is versatile, portable, and did everything we wanted it to do. It would also be better if it offers a long hose or an extension to reach higher surfaces. In terms of the ability to heat quickly and having a long cleaning time, this unit performed as one would expect. Overall, it is a great product from one of the most prestigious brands in the world of vacuums.
Things to consider when selecting the Best Multi Purpose Steam Cleaner
Now, you have a list of what we consider to be best rated multi-purpose steam cleaners on the market right now. As you can see from their features, all have their own specific advantages and disadvantages. Some of them are good for small spot jobs or tough jobs while others are excellent for cleaning wide areas. What you need in terms of size and portability depends on how you intend to use the cleaner. Before you decide on which product to purchase, there are several factors you need to consider before picking up your most favorite multi-purpose steam cleaner.
- Brand: It is a key factor and you want to buy one that enjoys a good reputation at producing multipurpose steam cleaners. You want to make sure that the brand has experience in manufacturing appliances that combines electricity with water. A trusted brand means that they have good history and are more likely to produce a safe and high-quality steam cleaner with longer warranty.
- Size and Water Capacity: If you want the cleaner to be lightweight, then choose a small water tank. However, if the ability to operate for longer period of time is important to you, then selecting a large tank steam cleaner is a wise choice.
- Power: This determines the pressure of the steam coming out from the cleaner end. It also has an effect on how quickly the unit heats up and is able to hold temperature. Steam loses pressure as it moves through a longer distance, so if the product has a longer hose, it will need to be more powerful in order to provide the steam needed for efficient cleaning.
- Cleaning Attachments: You need to have sufficient cleaning attachments to be able to do all of the jobs with your multi-purpose steam cleaner. If the unit does not offer enough attachments, then it is not very multi-purpose and will likely not suit all of the needs. To determine the right number of attachments for you, you need to analyse the type of cleaning tasks you want to perform before making your final selection.
- Portability: This feature is crucial in a multi-purpose steam cleaner. One of the tests that we applied for determining the portability is to try to use the product on a set of stairs. Some of the cleaners were just too big to place on the stairs and you had to rely on having a long hose to reach all of the areas. Likewise, the same result came for cleaning ceilings. Some of them just could not clean crown molding and use a hose that is too short. Portability is a characteristic that goes beyond the weight of the machine. You have to look at how far the cleaner will reach and how long it can extend.
What Makes a Good Multi Purpose Steam Cleaner
When all is said and done, there are several factors that stand out as the most important when choosing a multi-purpose steam cleaner.
- Adaptability/Versatility: In our analysis, we found that this category demonstrated a considerable amount variation from one machine to another. Even though all of the cleaners that we reviewed were considered multipurpose, some of them were more suitable for one purpose than others. Not all of them were as versatile as they claimed. Some of the factors that affected their adaptability and versatility includes weight, size, length of cords and hoses. All of these aspects need to be considered when picking a steam cleaner that is adaptable and versatile.
- Ease of Use: All of the products that we tested were easy to use. Like we mentioned earlier, a steam cleaner is just a simple machine. All you need is to fill its chamber with water or cleaning fluid and then allowing it to heat before use. While they vary in functionality as some of them use a trigger that you had to hold at all times. Others are capable to lock the trigger to produce continual steam. These factors affected the ease of use and fatigue on your hand when doing a large cleaning job.
- Safety: It is a factor that goes without saying when it comes to rating the best multipurpose steam cleaner. Many times, this all comes down to researching the manufacturer. Of course, you want all of the electrical connections sealed in a way that water cannot penetrate. In addition, it is important that the unit does not tip over and cause potential spilling of water onto the electrical systems. The ability to see the water reservoir as you are filling it is another critical factor. Some of cleaners have the downside of using an opaque color water reservoir, and you cannot see how far the water level is. This can potentially result in overfilling the device and causing a hazard.
- Eco-Friendly: Multi-purpose steam cleaners are an eco-friendly solution to cleaning. You do not have to use harsh chemicals and many of them are efficient when it comes to electrical usage. Special technology such as pulsation, integration of sonic technology, and other handy features made them stand out in terms of environmental friendliness and ability to produce power without additional wattage.
- Ability to Disinfect & Deodorize: The most important factor when it comes to the ability to disinfect and deodorize is the intensity of heating water and pressure the cleaner can produce. There are some excellent steam cleaners on the market that can superheat water, which is actually great for disinfecting and killing most of the common molds such as bacteria and viruses.
Types of All Purpose Steam Cleaners on the Market
Steam cleaners can be divided into three main types based on their function and design.
1. Steam Mop
A steam mop is exactly what its name says. It has a limited function and uses steam to clean floors. It has a mop head, and it can include a rag type mop head or a flat mop head for hardwood floors.
2. Handheld Steam Cleaner
A handheld steam cleaner is quite useful for small jobs. These are the most portable units around and are great for cleaning up spots or quick spills. However, they’re not good for cleaning large surface areas. They typically use a pointed nozzle and do not have a flat steam head for larger areas.
3. Upright Steam Cleaner
An upright steam cleaner works much like a portable vacuum. It uses a compartment that you can roll around to contain water and they are often loaded with attachments that are similar to a vacuum cleaner. Based on the model, they often offer accessories that enable you to clean large surfaces, or a small pinpoint area where you want to apply the steam. These are not only versatile but also the biggest and bulkiest on the market.
Effective Tips to Take Good Care of Your Steam Cleaner
After buying the best multi-purpose steam cleaner for you, now it’s important to take care of it and make sure it lasts for a long time. Here are a few tips to ensure that your steam cleaner will provide you with many years of long service.
- Read the instruction manual in detail: It is essential to operate the unit according to manufacturer’s guidelines to get optimal cleaning and operating it safely.
- Keeping a good check on water quality: Hard water can clog tubes and lead to calcium buildup. Some units can be cleaned, but using distilled water or soft water is the best way to assure that your unit will not experience any build-up of minerals that can harm the cleaner.
- Keeping it clean: Cleaning your steam cleaner is imperative to ensure that it lasts for a long time and perform as expected while cleaning wheels double-checks that they roll efficiently. Some of the manufacturers provide special instructions to sanitize their machines, so be sure to read those instructions.
- Check the tank: It is a good idea to review the tank before each use. Look out for craft cracks or leaks and if any are found, do not use the steam cleaner until the manufacturer is already contacted for advice on how to proceed further.
Now, you have a rundown of the best multi-purpose steam cleaners for a variety of surfaces. Any of the units that we reviewed above would make an excellent choice for your home cleaning. That said, if we’ve to pick what we consider to be best of the best, our number one choice is definitely the Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner. The reason why we feel it is top-notch is because of its solid built-quality, excellent steam pressure and quick water heating ability to a high temperature. Even better, it is easy to move around and performs an immaculate job of cleaning different types of surfaces we tested.
- Top Rated Multi Purpose Steam Cleaners Comparison Chart
- Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners 2020 Reviews
- 1. Dupray Neat Multi Purpose Steam Cleaner
- 2. Pure Enrichment PureClean XL Rolling Steam Cleaner
- 3. Steamfast SF-370WH Multipurpose Steam Cleaner
- 4. McCulloch MC1275 Canister Steam Cleaner
- 5. Homegear X100 Portable Professional Multi Surface Steam Cleaner
- 6. Sienna Luna Plus Handheld Steam Mop SSM-3016
- 7. Bocca All Purpose Steam Cleaner
- 8. Bissell BigGreen Commercial Hercules Vapor Scrub Steam Cleaner BGST500T
- Things to consider when selecting the Best Multi Purpose Steam Cleaner
- What Makes a Good Multi Purpose Steam Cleaner
- Types of All Purpose Steam Cleaners on the Market
- Effective Tips to Take Good Care of Your Steam Cleaner
- Wrap Up