- Comparing the 18 Best Vacuums to Tackle Pet Hair
- Best Pet Hair Vacuum 2020 Reviews (Updated Cleaners)
- 1. Shark APEX AZ1002 Upright Pet Hair Vacuum with DuoClean
- 2. Tineco A11 Master Handheld Stick Cordless Vacuum
- 3. Shark Rotator NV752 Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum
- 4. Bissell 20431 Powerglide Lift Off Pet Plus Upright Bagless Vacuum
- 5. Eureka NEU180B Powerful Upright Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
- 6. Hoover T-Series UH70120 WindTunnel Rewind Bagless Upright Vacuum
- 7. New Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum
- 8. Bissell 2252 Cleanview Swivel Upright Bagless Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
- 9. Dyson DC39 Canister Animal Vacuum Cleaner
- 10. Dyson V11 Cordless Animal Vacuum
- 11. Bissell 1650A Tangle Free Brush Roll and Pet Hair Eraser Upright Vacuum
- 12. Kenmore Elite 81714 Bagged Pet Friendly Canister Vacuum
- 13. Bissell 2087b Pet Hair Eraser Lift Off Bagless Upright Vacuum
- 14. iRobot Roomba 980 Robot Vacuum for Pet Hair
- 15. Bissell 1782 Pet Hair Eraser Hand Cordless Vacuum
- 16. Hoover UH74210PC Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner w/ Swivel Steering
- 17. Shark Rotator NV755 Powdered Lift-Away XL Capacity Vacuum
- 18. Shark Rocket HV322 DeluxePro Ultra-Light Upright Stick Vacuum
- A Complete Buying Guide for Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaners
- Types of Pet Vacuums Cleaners on the Market
- Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
- What Features are Important to Consider When Buying a Pet Hair Vacuum
- Wrap Up
While dogs may be man’s best friend, those pets can change the way you feel about your home and inviting guests over. Both dogs and cats can shed hundreds of hairs every day and leave behind lumps of fur that sticks to your furniture, carpets, walls and hardwood floors. Even worse, those pet hairs can stick to your clothing and cause severe allergies. With the best vacuum for pet hair, you no longer need to worry about the pet dander and hair that you usually see. These nice vacuums work on both dog hair and cat hair and are easy enough that you can use one daily.
To help you find the best vacuum for pet hair in 2020, we found the most popular models available and created reviews of each one. You can use those reviews and our buyer’s guide to find a reliable pet vacuum under budget that you can use in every room of your house to clean up after your pets. The top features and ultimate performance found on our handpicked models will make you love your pets again without getting clogged up.
Comparing the 18 Best Vacuums to Tackle Pet Hair
In our comparison chart, you can see how each of the best rated pet hair vacuum stacks up against the other models. We ranked these high-end vacuum cleaners based on their most salient features and how we think each one works on different types surfaces. We’ve also followed this same order of products in our review section to help you navigate easily throughout our buying guide.
|Best Pet Hair Vacuums 2020||Corded/Cordless||Weight||Price|
|Shark APEX AZ1002||30 ft.||17.1 lbs||Check Price|
|Tineco A11 Master Handheld||up to 60 min run time||5.5 lbs||Check Price|
|Shark Rotator NV752||30 ft.||16.7 lbs||Check Price|
|Bissell 20431 Powerglide||30 ft.||18 lbs||Check Price|
|Eureka NEU180B||25 ft.||10 lbs||Check Price|
|Hoover T-Series UH70120||25 ft. retractable cord||16.5 lbs||Check Price|
|New Miele Complete C3||corded||19.4 lbs||Check Price|
|Bissell 2252 Cleanview||27 ft.||17.8 lbs||Check Price|
|Dyson DC39 Canister||21 ft.||16.9 lbs||Check Price|
|Dyson V11 Cordless||up to 60 min run time||6.68 lbs||Check Price|
|Bissell 1650A Tangle Free||30 ft.||18 lbs||Check Price|
|Kenmore Elite 81714||26 ft.||22 lbs||Check Price|
|Bissell 2087b Pet Hair||corded||17.75 lbs||Check Price|
|iRobot Roomba 980||up to 120 min run time||8.7 lbs||Check Price|
|Bissell 1782 Pet Hair Eraser||cordless||3 lbs||Check Price|
|Hoover UH74210PC||30 ft.||16 lbs||Check Price|
|Shark Rotator NV755||30 ft.||16.4 lbs||Check Price|
|Shark Rocket HV322||25 ft.||9.1 lbs||Check Price|
Best Pet Hair Vacuum 2020 Reviews (Updated Cleaners)
Welcome to our pet hair vacuum reviews section. Here we describe each vacuum cleaner and how effectively it tackles pet hair and chunks of fur without leaving behind a fine trail of dust. You’ll find all the good and bad features that we think are the most noteworthy to pet owners and reasons why one should buy the best pet vacuum cleaner to keep things under control.
Most importantly, we’ve included all the flaws and downsides of each vacuum cleaner, which can help you weed out some units. All in all, our review section can help you make an informed decision and shop the best pet vacuum for the money.
- Dust cup capacity 1.5 quarts; Shark's ultimate cleaning experience; Featuring Shark DuoClean, Powered lift away, and Zero M technologies
- DuoClean Technology includes multiple rolls that penetrate deep into carpets
- Canister separates from the vacuum for convenient cleaning
- HEPA filter and sealed canister for allergen protection
- Zero-M feature keeps hair from sticking to the brush
After digging deep into features of all pet hair vacuums, we found that the Apex AZ1002 from Shark is the best pet hair vacuum to buy in 2020. What we really love about this great vacuum is the double brush roller system that consists of two brushes that work together to get as much hair off the ground as possible and to polish harder types of flooring at the same time.
Even better, the Zero-M technology does a superb job of preventing the long and short hair from tangling around the brush, while the lift-away feature lets you remove the canister to get under your furniture. That being said, it also features an upright mode for traditional vacuuming and an above-floor mode for cleaning stairs. The HEPA filter on this pet hair vacuum keeps allergens from spreading through the air. That filter works with the sealed canister to ensure that all the hair and pet dander allergies remains trapped inside until you empty it.
- High performance cordless vacuum for whole home use featuring a 450W motor and up to 120W of suction power for deep, thorough cleaning on any floor surface.
- Includes two batteries that last for up to 60 minutes
- Strong suction power to deep clean all types of floors
- Sealed filtration system with four different stages and settings
- Seven attachments and accessories let you clean different things
The stick design of Tineco pet vacuum cleaner makes it easy to use anywhere in your home. It comes with two rechargeable batteries that will each power the vacuum for a full 60 minutes to clean multiple rooms in less time. Thanks to its extreme suction power, it can remove pet hair stuck to your couch and other furniture as well as different types of flooring.
This cordless vacuum comes with a few upgrades, including a new dustbin that is 50% larger than it once was and a four-stage filtration system that keeps pet hair and other allergens safely tucked away. One of the top features of this lightweight pet vacuum is the pre-filter, which you can use without rinsing the tank first. The vacuum also comes with seven attachments that include one tool designed specifically for removing pet hair. All of those accessories are easy to use and make it the best stick vacuum for pet hair.
- Powered Lift-Away: extended reach for stairs and more
- Lift-away design lets you use the vacuum in several different ways
- Allergen technology works with the sealed canister to stop particles from reaching the air
- All modes are accessible via fingertip controls
- Swiveling head can move in any direction and reach any area
Most of the top rated vacuums for pet hair come from Shark such as the NV752, which features a true HEPA filter that eliminates pet hair, dander and even cat litter from your home. That hair and dander move through the hose and into a sealed canister that keeps the vacuum from releasing it back into the air. The XL capacity of that canister makes this a good choice for larger homes and those who have both cats and dogs.
Located on the top of the handle is a series of buttons that let you switch between modes with just your fingertips. The shark pet vacuum also features dynamic swivel steering that lets you move in any direction that you want and to get around any obstacles. We also like the LED lights located on the vacuum head, which help you see everything you might encounter and view the pet hair that you picked up.
- Dirt cup capacity - 0.75 liters. Buy BISSELL, save pets. BISSELL will donate $10 to BISSELL Pet Foundation for each Power Glide Lift Off Pet purchase upon activation.
- 2-in-1 design for vacuuming all surfaces and areas of your home
- Includes several tools for removing pet hair
- Leaves behind a fresh scent as you vacuum
- Brush roll loosens and lifts pet hair before pulling it into the cleaner
The Bissell 20431 Pet Vacuum Cleaner boasts a triple-action brush roll design that penetrates into multi flooring to release and loosen pet hair before lifting it off that floor and into the canister. With its 2-in-1 design, you can use this good pet hair vacuum anywhere in your home, including on the stairs and when cleaning underneath furniture. It has a SmartSeal allergen system that captures both pet hair, dust and other small particles from your home.
That filter also works with Febreeze to release a soft and pleasing odor. On top of all that, an included extension wand makes it easy to clean the ceilings in any room because you can keep the vacuum on the ground and use its full suction power with that tool. Other included tools are also perfect for erasing pet hair from upholstery, in crevices and other areas where the hair can gather.
- 【Lightweight & Portable】This 10-lbs Eureka powerspeed upright vacuum cleaner can be easily carried around your house
- Five height settings will clean and work on any type of flooring
- XL dust cup holds up to twice as much debris as other vacuums can
- Includes multiple cleaning tools with onboard storage spots
- Cleans a path of nearly 13-inches wide with each pass
Before we get too far into this pet hair vacuum review, we want to go over the included tools and attachments. With Eureka upright vacuum, you get a cleaning wand for removing hair stuck to your walls, ceilings and fans and another tool designed specifically for erasing pet hair from upholstery. Both the brush and crevice tool let you extract the dog and cat hair that collect on your clothing and in tight spaces without bending over too.
The only maintenance that this pet vacuum cleaner needs is rinsing off the filter, which you only need to do once every few weeks because it comes with an XL dust cup. Even better than those tools and filter are the facts that this vacuum creates a clean path of nearly 13-inches wide and has a hose that stretches out to four times its original length. That hose can easily suck out the pet hair inside your vents and ducts.
- WINDTUNNEL TECHNOLOGY: Creates suction to lift and remove surface debris and deeply embedded dirt
- 25-foot power cord retracts inside the hair vacuum with one touch of a button
- HEPA filtration system removes 99.7% of particles of 0.3 microns in size
- No Scuff bumper prevents damage to baseboards and other surfaces
- Height adjustment knob on the brush head changes the roller height for your floors
For spot cleaning and regular cleaning on a budget, you can’t go wrong with this T-Series pet hair vacuum from Hoover, which is one of the reputed names in the vacuum industry. This powerful unit features a warning system that comes on to show you problems and to alert you when the filter needs cleaning. That filter works on particles as small as just 0.3 microns that are invisible to the naked eye. It has both an eight-foot cord that stretches to reach tough spots and a 25-foot cord that retracts inside the pet hair vacuum once you finish.
The dusting brush lets you clean ceilings and curtains, while the turbo tool works great on stairs and furniture. While its WindTunnel technology lifts debris away from your thick shag carpets, the height adjustment knob on the front changes the height of the pet vacuum to make it work on any floor.
- Foot pedals on the bottom control the six speeds and miscellaneous settings
- Agitates the carpet to release trapped pet hair and human hair from the fibers
- Filter system uses activated charcoal to reduce common odors caused by pets
- Vortex system provides a continuous amount of suction on any surface
Though the Miele C3 is the most expensive pet hair vacuum that we came across, the heavy duty vacuum itself is actually worth that price tag. The C3 Cat & Dog Hair Vacuum has a 1,200W vortex motor that keeps the brush spinning and allows the vacuum to maintain a continuous stream of powerful suction. Located on the base of the canister vacuum cleaner are foot pedals that allow you to adjust the speed to one of six settings and switch between modes without bending over.
Suitable for medium and low pile carpets as well as hardwood and tile floors, this nice pet hair vacuum cleaner features a sealed canister that stops allergens from getting out. That canister works with the filter system to reduce pet odors at the same time because that filter absorbs odors through the use of activated charcoal. It also comes with a mini turbo brush and other handy attachments.
- Buy Bissell, save pets; Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet product purchase, upon activation
- Triple action brush roll both picks up pet hair and keeps it from scattering
- Edge to edge design completely cleans the floor without leaving debris behind
- Included tools allow for specialty and above ground cleaning
- Cyclonic suction system extends the vacuum’s performance and suction
Bissell makes its first appearance on our list with the 2252 model, which is also one of the most affordable pet hair vacuums out there on the market. This unit offers an edge to edge design that enables you to clean an entire room without leaving a trail of debris behind. Not only this, it also uses a triple action brush that stops debris from scattering around as you work.
The bin on this model sits on the bottom of the vacuum cleaner and is easy to remove without dropping any of the dog hair or debris it collected. Capable of running right along your baseboards and walls without damaging them, this vacuum cleaner also has a washable filter that you don’t need to replace. On top of all that, the cyclonic suction system sucks up debris from underneath the pet hair vacuum and sends it through a cyclone to ensure that the smallest of particles stay inside.
- Dyson cyclone technology captures more dirt and mircoscopic dust than any other with no loss of suction
- Radial Root Cyclone Technology increases the vacuum’s suction power
- Ball design for ease of movement and better maneuverability
- Certified to meet all standards for those with serious allergies
- Includes three tools for cleaning stairs and removing pet hair
Dyson has a strong reputation for its animal vacuum cleaners, and the DC39 is one of the best models around for homes with pets. Though it doesn’t work as well for long hair as it does with short hair, it offers a new design that lets it pick up more dog fur. The cyclone technology that Dyson calls “Radial Root technology” keeps the motor spinning and forces everything it picks up inside the small ball canister.
That canister allows you to empty it directly over a trashcan to keep the waste from spilling on your floor. An adjustable floor tool works with the pet hair vacuum and allows you to move it smoothly across the floor. Certified for the standards that it meets, the DC39 is one of the best vacuums for pet hair and those with allergies. It comes with a mini turbine head tool that works great on animal hair and a five-year warranty that covers any replacement parts and labor you might need.
- Dyson's most intelligent, powerful cordless vacuum. Twice the suction of any cordless vacuum.
- LED screen shows all maintenance information and settings
- Removes more than 99.9% of particles of 0.3 microns in size
- Runs for up to 60 minutes on a fully charged battery
- Three intelligent modes for different type of cleaning
With three intelligent modes to choose from, the Dyson V11 is the best stick vacuum cleaner for pet lovers. The eco mode saves on the battery power, while the boost mode lets you get more cleaning done in less time. When you choose the auto mode, the animal hair vacuum will adjust itself based on what it encounters and adapt to clean those surfaces. The included battery can last for a full 60 minutes on eco mode and charge in just a few hours.
Dyson includes docking station with this model that you can mount on any wall. That station provides convenient storage and charges the battery as you store the pet vacuum cleaner. With the miniature motorized tool, you can use the V11 to remove trapped pet hair and stuck-on debris as well as allergens down to 0.3 microns.
- Tangle-free brush roll, specialized pet tools - remove embedded pet hair everywhere
- Brush roll removes pet hair and keeps it from wrapping around the brush
- Handle functions as a turbo brush tool for stuck-on pet hair
- Holds 1.5 liters of dust and debris in the attached dust cup
- Provides a continuous stream of suction across the entire roller
The number one reason to pick the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser is because of its handle, which does double duty as a turbo brush tool. It takes only seconds to pull the handle off the vacuum and use it to clean up after your pets. As an added bonus, you get a set of specialized tools designed for pet hair removal, including tools for cleaning the ceiling and crevices. With the swivel steering on this model, you can easily maneuver around your home and any obstacles that you encounter.
Designed for use on multiple surfaces, the vacuum cleaner has a height adjustment knob and technology that produces a steady stream of suction from one edge of the brush to the other. On top of all that, this nice pet hair vacuum also offers a built-in odor eliminator that uses a Febreeze filter to both eliminate odors and leave behind a nicer scent. All these handy features and reliable performance makes it one of the best vacuums for dog hair.
- BAGGED CANISTER VACUUM: Designed to clean all areas and surfaces of your entire home, den, kitchen, car or garage quickly and efficiently with multiple attachment tools and swivel head
- Motorized attachment lifts and removes pet hair without tangling it in the brush roller
- Traps 99.7% of allergens in the HEPA filter and sealed canister
- 26-foot cord retracts to save space when you’re done with the vacuum
- Includes a HEPA cloth, dust brush and crevice tool
Kenmore has more than 100 years of experience making home appliances and used that experience to make this awesome pet hair vacuum cleaner, which many owners use successfully to clean up after their pets. It has an Ultra Plush nozzle that increases airflow to help the vacuum pick up more pet hair without damaging the motor. Inside the vacuum cleaner are two different motors that work together to tackle the toughest of jobs without leaving behind waste. With the included motorized tool, you can get all the human and pet hair that you see and any dander and hair that is invisible to the naked eye. This unit also features swivel steering to help you get around your home, a telescoping wand to get into hard to reach areas, built-in headlights and a HEPA filter that picks up more than 99% of your home’s allergens and particles.
- Dirt cup capacity - 1.0 liter. Buy BISSELL, save pets. BISSELL will donate $10 to BISSELL Pet Foundation for each Pet Hair Eraser Lift Off purchase upon activation.
- 2-in-1 design lets you remove the canister for reaching tighter spaces
- Brush roll has edges that prevent tangles
- SmartSeal Allergen System locks in particles and works with an optional odor eliminator
- Canister lifts off for emptying without getting your hands dirty
Whether you need to hair vacuum your stairs or multiple floors in your home, the Bissell 2087b is a good choice because it’s lightweight enough that you can carry it between those floors. You can also lift off the canister and use the pet vacuum cleaner as two different pieces to cut down on the weight you carry. With the optional Febreeze odor eliminator, the pet hair vacuum absorbs odors from the floor and releases a naturally pleasing scent into the air. The lighted crevice tool lets you remove the dog hair that you usually miss and see into those dark spaces to make sure you don’t miss a thing. It also offers a sealed canister to prevent pollutants and allergens from escaping the vacuum cleaner and a telescoping extension wand that extends your overall reach.
- Power Lifting Suction delivers 10X the air power for improved pick up performance; Automatically increases cleaning performance on carpets with Power Boost (Compared to Roomba 600 Series and AeroVac...
- App navigation tells the vacuum where to go based on the layout of your home
- Rubber brushes constantly move to clean any floor or surface it touches
- Runs for two full hours and will automatically return to the docking station
- Built-in filter removes more than 99% of allergens related to dogs and cats
Robotic vacuums such as the Roomba 980 can just as effectively clean your house as a traditional pet hair vacuum can and will save you some time too. This model comes with a docking station that charges the battery. The small vacuum cleaner can run for up to two hours and then head back to the docking station for charging. You can download an app to set up how the robot vacuum runs after sharing the layout of your home.
It also works with other devices to let you control the robot with the sound of your voice. Designed to work on more than 99% of the allergens associated with dogs and cats, the vacuum cleaner has rubber brushes that shift and move to constantly remain in contact with the floor below. It can work on all types of floors but usually does best on harder surfaces.
- BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser hand vacuum is cordless, to clean wherever your pet goes
- Holds up to 0.7 liters in the attached dust cup
- Motorized brush removes both loose and stuck-on pet hair
- Works on surfaces that include upholstery, hardwood and carpet
- Comes with tools that extend its overall use and range
If you need a compact pet hair vacuum that goes wherever you go and anywhere your pet goes, you should seriously consider the Bissell 1782. It has a handheld design that requires just one hand to operate and weighs only three pounds. You can use it just as easily in your car after a road trip with your four-legged furry friend as you can to clean up accidents in your home.
It comes with three specialized tools that snap onto the portable vacuum for cleaning crevices and upholstery. This is a cordless pet hair vacuum that comes with a rechargeable battery that you can charge overnight or in a few hours. We also love how easily you can use this vacuum to clean up pet messes. Once you pop the battery into the back, you just need to push one button on the front and to use the pet vacuum indoors or outside.
- SWIVEL STEERING - This upright vacuum cleaner effortlessly maneuvers around furniture and into tight spaces with ease
- Advanced action brush roll prevents tangles and removes stuck-on debris
- XL dust cup with a hygienic dumping option
- Meets all standards for pet hair removal from all types of animals
- Eliminates particles of 0.5 microns in size
Another Hoover model that we thought would be a good vacuum for homes with pets is the UH74210PC, which comes with several tools you can attach to the unit via the onboard storage options. Though it can feel a bit heavy at times, it maneuvers easily around furniture and other objects and can fit into any tight spaces in your home. The brush roll has a unique design that pulls pet hair into the vacuum quickly to keep it from tangling and wrapping around that roll. It also uses an extra-large dust cup that enables you do more vacuuming with less emptying and cleaning. With the quick-release cleaning wand, you can reach ceilings and areas up to 13 feet away. This good vacuum for pet hair meets most allergy standards too because it eliminates 99.9% of allergens down to a size of 0.5 microns.
- Upright vacuum cleaner for pet hair and debris: The 3-in-1 design easily transforms into a portable canister with a powered floor nozzle cleaning from floor to ceiling, underneath furniture and other...
- XL size tank holds more pet hair and debris
- Cleaning modes and fingertip controls make cleaning all rooms easy
- Works in three different modes for vacuuming all areas of your home
- Maintains continuous suction power across all flooring types
Weighing less than 17 pounds, this Shark Pet Vacuum can help you keep your home free of pet hair and other allergens. It removes up to 99.9% of the trace particles and pollutants found in most homes. As other Shark models do, this one features a lift-away design that separates the canister from the pet vacuum cleaner for more convenient cleaning. That design also reduces the weight of the vacuum to help you clean your stairs without feeling bogged down. It has the advanced swivel steering needed to get around immovable objects and obstacles in your home, and it has built-in lights to help you see where you’re going. With the pet upholstery and dusting brush, you can collect pet hair that gathers in tight spots and sticks to your furniture. All the included tools fit inside the pet vacuum’s accessory bag.
- No loss of suction. To clean bare floors, area rugs, or with accessories-Slide the power switch to setting l, Bare Floor, Small Area Rugs. Tilt the handle back while gently stepping on the floor...
- Works on hardwood and tile floors as well as long pile carpets and rugs
- Comes with a 30-foot long power cord
- Includes attachments that you can clean in the sink
- Becomes a handheld vacuum in seconds for spot and furniture cleaning
The Shark Rocket HV322 pulls double duty because it also works as a handheld pet hair vacuum. You can detach the top of the vacuum and use that part for cleaning furniture or stairs and then put the vacuum back together again. It comes with multiple attachments that include a mount for storing it on a wall and a crevice tool for removing dust from tight spots. The included pet tool makes quick work of any pet hair in your home and office too. Thanks to the 30-foot cord, you can use this pet vacuum in one room without stopping to find an open outlet. It does have a smaller tank than other models do, which will require that you empty it more often when cleaning. As this vacuum weigh less than 10 pounds, it’s easy to use and safe for your kids to use when vacuuming too.
A Complete Buying Guide for Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaners
Now that you know which models rank as the best pet hair vacuums, it’s time to actually find out what type you actually need. The right choice of pet vacuum cleaner can depend on factors such as the size of your home, types of surfaces to clean and the number of pets that you have. You also need to consider the specific type of vacuum that will work best in your home or workplace. In this buying guide, we’ll go over everything you should consider before buying that perfect pet hair vacuum cleaner.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
A good vacuum for pet hair is essential for any home with pets. Whether you have cats or dogs or a combination of both, you need a vacuum that can keep up with the hair that they shed. Animals tend to shed in the spring and summer as they remove the excess hair they grew for the winter. Some cat and dogs can shed regularly during each season too. There are a few common questions that you need to ask yourself before shopping for the perfect pet hair vacuum cleaner.
Types of Cleaning Jobs to Perform
The very first question you should ask yourself is about what types of cleaning jobs you need the pet hair vacuum to perform. Do you want one that runs automatically while you’re at work or one that you can whip out to take care of your RV or car? Some pet owners find that they prefer models with brushes that prevent tangles because they have pets with long hair. You’ll also want to ask yourself some related questions, including:
Frequency of Cleaning:
How often will you really clean your home? Though some claim that they vacuum once a week or more often, many people actually only vacuum once a month. If you won’t vacuum daily or weekly, you may need a stronger model that can keep up with the pet hair that builds up in your home between cleanings.
Quick or Thorough Cleaning:
The right pet hair vacuum for you may depend on whether you want to do a quick cleaning or a more thorough cleaning. With a portable handheld vac, you can clean out your car and remove the pet hair from your upholstery in 20 minutes or less. These vacuums are also good for eliminating the pet hair on your couch and drapes before guests come over. If you want a thorough cleaning that removes pet hair stuck under your baseboards and in other crevices, you’ll want a larger model such as an upright or canister vacuum that can handle those tasks.
Vacuum Coverage Area
One thing you may not probably consider when picking a new pet hair vacuum is the general size of your home. When it comes to cleaning, many people create a list that they break down into individual tasks. Instead of cleaning your whole kitchen, you might focus on washing dishes and putting them away one day and mopping and thoroughly cleaning the floor the next. It’s important that you consider both the overall size of your home and whether you have stairs when selecting a brand new vacuum for pet hair.
Big or small home:
The size of your home can really help you narrow down some of the best pet hair vacuums available for sale. A big home will require a canister or an upright vacuum. If you have a smaller home or apartment with less square footage, you can opt for a handheld vac or a stick vacuum. Robot vacuums typically work best in small homes because they can only operate in a certain range from their docking stations. If you want to use a robot vacuum and have a large home, you may need to invest in several vacuums to tackle pet hair.
Do you have stairs:
Carrying a large or heavy vacuum up and down the stairs in your home can cause pain in your back and arms. Lightweight pet hair vacuums are best for use in homes with stairs as are canister models. With a canister model, you can move up and down those stairs as often as you would like because the vacuum weighs so little. Some models also come with a detachable part that you can use on the stairs. These vacuums have a hose that helps you use the full suction power of the motor while you work on the stairs.
Types of Surfaces to Clean
When most people think of best vacuum cleaners for pet hair, they assume that these appliances are only suitable for use in homes with carpets. Once you look at some of the highest rated models though, you will easily find that you can use one in any room and on any surface. It’s worthwhile to consider all the types of flooring in your home and that you make sure the pet hair vacuum can work on all those surfaces. Some of them can include:
If you have dogs that love spending time outside, you’ll likely find that pet hair and long pet fur they shed builds up on your patio or deck. Some of the top pet hair vacuums are suitable for outdoor use. As long as the cord is long enough to reach between the outlet and outdoor space, you can use it to remove that hair. Pet hair vacuums can tackle hair stuck on other surfaces too.
Long Pile Carpets or Rugs:
Whether you live in a home with carpets or rugs, you need to think about the piles on those areas. Pile is a term that manufacturers use to describe the length of the fibers. Carpets and rugs with a thick or long pile can cause issues when vacuuming pet hair. You might find that the suction is so strong that it tears those fibers out or that it weakens them, which makes the carpet look worn. Pet hair vacuums that have a height adjustment knob or setting allow you to change the height of the deck to work with those rugs and carpets.
Tiles, Vinyl or Hardwood Floors:
Cleaning vinyl, tile and laminate flooring once required the use of specialized cleaners and soft brushes or mops. Thanks to some of the hottest pet hair vacuums on the market right now, you can now clean all floors as easily as you do carpeted areas. Some of the models you’ll see on our list have designs that keep the brushes from scratching and otherwise damaging those floors. You may want to make sure you can adjust the vacuum’s height too, especially if you live in a home with multiple types of flooring.
Above Floor Surfaces, Furniture or Car Use:
Above floor surfaces refer to any area of your home located above the floor, including ceilings and walls. With the right pet hair vacuum, you can easily clean those areas via the included tools. You should look for one with a hose that extends out from the vacuum and attachments that fit onto that hose. Upholstery tools feature stiff brushes that loosen any pet hair trapped in the upholstery and push the hair into the vacuum. Some vacuums come with tools specifically designed for cleaning ceiling fans and curtains too. For vacuums that you can use inside your car, you should stick to handheld models that you can carry outside and use all over the vehicle.
Shark, Eureka, Bissell and Kenmore are just a few of the manufacturers responsible for some of the best vacuum for pet hair around. Though Shark earned our number one spot, the company also appeared several times with some of its other models, as did Bissell and Dyson. The top pet vacuum cleaners earned their spots due to features such as HEPA filters and different forms of technology that extend the life of those vacuums. We highly recommend that you use our buyer’s guide to get an idea of what you need before choosing any of the best pet hair vacuum cleaners shown above.