Vacuuming stairs has never been an easy task. And, it becomes even more challenging when you’re hunting for an ideal machine that is capable of cleaning stairs with highest precision and accuracy. So, during your search, always remember the location where it actually needs to be used such as carpeted, hardwood or tiled floors. With majority products, we continuously face the problem of being unable to cope up with huge stretch of stairs from top to bottom. And, this is actually what makes your routine even more frustrating. Ideally, a top-notch vacuum for stairs should be highly portable, compact and equipped with a long cord to swiftly maneuver through entire length of your staircase.Choosing the best vacuum for stairs may sound incredibly easy but in reality it is completely the opposite case. If not thousand then there are definitely hundreds of unique products available on the market right now. Each specific model comes with its own set of features, pros and cons. With this buying guide, we especially want to address pet owners here, who face vacuuming tasks even more frequently. It is because cats and dogs roam around the entire house and shed their hair on stairways, nooks and crannies. Multiplied with lack of proper cleaning, your stairs start to look horribly messy and with a wrong selection of a vacuum it nearly becomes impossible to clean edges of stairs accurately.
However, don’t worry as our in-depth review will help you find the right vacuum before your staircase becomes infested with all that fuzz and grime. With this guide, our main goal is to pick a top-rated model that is not only powerful enough to take care of pet hair but equally suitable for vacuuming stairs in a perfect way.
Top Rated Vacuums for Stairs Comparison Chart
When hunting for the best stair vacuum, there are a few key things that you may need to keep in mind before making a final selection. The first and foremost would be its compatibility with carpeted, tiled or hardwood stairs and then if it actually falls in your budget range.
In the comparison chart below, we’ve picked up and ranked the top 5 stair vacuums currently available on the market. You’ll find some basic information about each product and we’ve followed this same order of rankings mirrored in our review section so that it is easy for you to reference.
|Best Stair Vacuums 2020||Corded or Cordless||Weight||Price|
|Shark Navigator Lift Away Professional NV356E||Corded||13.7 lbs||Check Price|
|Hoover Max Extract FH50220 Vacuum Cleaner||Corded||21.9 lbs||Check Price|
|Eureka Easy Clean 71B Handheld Vacuum Cleaner||Corded||4.85 lbs||Check Price|
|Hoover BH52160PC Hand Vacuum Cleaner||Cordless||2.1 lbs||Check Price|
|Bissell 4122 Bagged Canister Vacuum||Corded||12.5 lbs||Check Price|
Best Vacuum for Stairs 2020 Reviews – (Updated List)
In this section, we’ve reviewed all the top-rated vacuums for stairs that were previously highlighted in our comparison chart. Stay with us right till the end of this buyer’s guide.
- With just push of a button you can lift its cannister and easily clean those hard to reach areas.
- It boasts an anti-allergen complete seal technology and HEPA filter that traps allergens and dust.
- Being versatile, portable and light weight, it only weighs 13.7 lbs.
- The cord length is 30 feet and Brusholl Shutoff Deep technology powerfully cleans carpet and bare flooring.
- Under normal use, felt filters and pre-motor foams are advised to be washed every three months. You can also wash and air dry HEPA filter once every two years for optimal performance.
Shark Navigator NV356E can be used on carpets, barewood floors and stairs. This multipurpose vacuum cleaner includes notable features such as the HEPA filter that is designed for swivel steering, removes allergens and comes with an extra-large dust cup.
Although, it looks like any other standard vacuum but what’s unique is its lift away function that enables users to easily separate cannister from its head. This feature is incredible to swiftly cleans stubborn places such as corners and crannies of stairs for pet hair and dirt suction. In addition, it is equipped with a dust away bare floor attachment with two microfiber pads, pet power brush, dusting brush and an 8-inch crevice tool.
2. Hoover Max Extract FH50220 Vacuum Cleaner
- Uses a pressurized edge to edge cleaning technology that lifts and loosens stubborn stains with relentless and constant spray.
- DualV Nozzle technology dries floors fast by pulling up dirty water.
- The Exclusive SpinScrub Technology 360 degree cleans upholstery fibers and all sides of carpet by loosening dirt and cleaning gently.
- Smart water tank system uses separate compartments for clean and dirty water so that each tank can be rinsed, emptied and filled individually without a hitch.
- Using heated cleaning, the dry time is significantly reduced.
Whether you have pet hair to worry about or just dust mites, Hoover FH50220 is a smart investment to make. Likewise, this vacuum even works well to remove stains from carpeted flooring and stairs. However, the heated cleaning system of this vacuum cleaner is not as efficient as Shark Navigator NV356E. Nonetheless, Hoover FH50220 is an efficient carpet cleaner because of its powerful deep cleaning abilities, affordability and ready to use technology. This model is especially good for carpets with high traffic, upholstery, pet messes, stains and dirt. It even features a 10 amps motor for powerful suction, 60 counter rotating units for deep cleaning and heated cleaning technology to dry up your carpet fast.
3. Eureka Easy Clean 71B Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- Portable, lightweight, handheld vacuum that can be used in homes, garages and cars.
- Carpets can be cleaned thoroughly with motorized brush coupled with on/off switch.
- The integrated filler features an easy to empty dust cannister.
- Its 20 feet cord is extendable to clean an entire room, a vehicle in the driveway or a set of stairs.
- The vacuum features two motors, one for suction and other for brush function.
The Eureka Easy Clean 71B is a handheld corded vacuum that is considered a wonderful option for carpeted stairs. When using this vacuum, a serious advantage is that it’s not restricted by a cord. Being lightweight, it is also easy to carry around. With an impressive power and specialty to vacuum stairs, it makes any cleaning job straightforward to complete.
Fortunately, Eureka 71B is highly affordable for majority buyers who are looking for a budget-friendly model for stairs. We also love its environment friendly design to help produce minimal impact in terms of noise and air pollution. In order to charge the vacuum, you can plug in the charger when not in use. With even a single charge, you can get a moderate extent of cleaning done at home with least amount of effort.
4. Hoover BH52160PC Hand Vacuum Cleaner
- Using Lithium ion battery is a big plus
- During entire life of battery, the Fade-Free technology delivers fade-free power
- Lightweight design at 4 lbs enables you to go from one room to another without trouble
- Dirt cup capacity is 0.7 liters
- Power turbo tool picks up hair from stairs and furniture with might and main
- Filter of vacuum is reusable and easy to rinse with water
It performs powerful deep cleaning of carpeted stairs, nooks, crannies of furniture and spot cleaning. Being handheld, you can use it for cars and computers too. If you are looking for those perfect and quick pet hair cleanup jobs, you can surely pick up this vacuum. Just like any other cordless vacuum, it comes with a charger that effectively charges the battery within just two to three hours. By owning a Hoover, you can make your regular vacuuming tasks a lot simpler.
5. Bissell 4122 Bagged Canister Vacuum
- Multi-surface portable cleaner that works on just 10 amps power.
- Robust suction, great for cleaning dirt on bare floors and rugs.
- Steadily cleans hard floors and carpets with flip of a switch.
- Quick cord storage with automatic rewind using push of a button.
- Full bag indicator, variable suction control, automatic cord rewind and telescoping wand.
The Bissell 4122 is exclusively designed for carpets, bare floors and stair rugs. It makes cleaning effortless due to its high-quality design. Since, the terrain of cleaning carpeted stairs is entirely different from vacuuming flat surfaces, this highly portable vacuum is focused on cleaning stairs and exhausting places. Likewise, the product allows you to bring cannister anywhere in your home and is very easy to control. You do not need an electrical outlet to make this vacuum work, so it doesn’t matter how high your stairs are, it will eventually get the job done. On top of all that, the cleaner generates minimal noise and can be stored quickly because of its practical size.
Features to Consider When Selecting the Best Vacuum for Stairs
Vacuum cleaners come in multiple shapes and sizes. For seniors, it can be a significant pain to use a large or bulky vacuum cleaner due to its massive size. This can potentially result into several health issues such as back pain, shoulder aches and bad knees, etc. Hence, it is essential to pick up vacuum cleaners that are lightweight and easy to use.
The levels of dirt or pet hair infestation at your home will help you determine the type of stair vacuum that can work best for your needs. When it comes to types, they can be either upright, cannister, cordless, robotic or handheld.
- Upright vacuums are well-known for their wide floor heads and heavy-duty suction. These are one of the most powerful types of vacuums on the market at this moment.
- The cannister vacuums may be a good option if you want to reach intricate spaces under furniture. It actually hosts a dedicated system for dust collection in the form of a bag or dustbin. Their amazing ability to get easily placed on steps and their long hose to reach stairs makes them a popular option to use at homes.
- Cordless handheld vacuums are great portable options for quick cleaning in busy areas and car detailing. These are best suited for small tasks due to their limited battery life which also means that you cannot use them for extended periods of time.
- Robotic vacuums feature a technology that enables them to automatically undock themselves and scoop up dust or dirt. They turn out to be a great machine to keep floors clean and possess the ability to maneuver around obstacles.
– Ease of use
If a vacuum is heavy, then even despite its powerful suction it can be quite difficult and frustrating to work with. For these reasons, all of our highly rated stair vacuums are easy to maneuver and capable to cover large areas.
An ideal vacuum for stairs should have a long hose and cord for places that are hard to reach.
– Time Saving
By investing in a small handheld vacuum with a beater bar, you can clean upholstery and carpeted stairs.
The multiple accessories that come with your vacuum cleaner are supposed to be helpful and not confusing. These will usually include crevice tool, dusting brush, upholstery tool and an extension wand.
– Suction Power
Vacuum cleaners are primarily built to suck; therefore, it is crucial for a vacuum to be able to absorb dirt, grime and pet hair from carpets, under furniture and tricky corners. The level of power of each appliance varies and directly proportional to your needs. If you are looking for a good vacuum cleaner for home or small office, then a moderate level of suction would be just fine. However, if it requires to be used in an industrial area or large shop then you’d definitely need more raw muscle.
FAQ’s about Stair Vacuums
1. Which style of vacuum is best for cleaning stairs?
There are a number of things you need to keep in mind before buying a vacuum for stairs. These include its ease of use, type, weight, being corded or cordless. Take a good look at our buying guide and pick the one that exactly suits your needs.
2. Are cordless vacuums any good?
Corded vacuums boast strong suction power; therefore, they are generally good for large homes especially with pets and long pile carpets. However, in smaller living spaces, cordless units are easily as effective as traditional vacuums and the most obvious advantage of being cordless is absence of cord. This makes them easy to push around and clean anywhere you need including cars.
3. What attachments are required for cleaning stairs?
The crevice tool features a narrow nozzle which fits in tight spots and corners. Therefore, it works well with complex spaces such as corners of steps. The toothbrush or small vacuum head accessory also works well to vacuum your stairs.
4. Trigger vs. Power button – Who Wins?
If you are buying an expensive vacuum, then it is rather annoying and exhausting to hold on to a button during its entire time of use. Unless you are doing a quick vacuum job, a lock power button is absolutely crucial.
5. Brush Roll vs. Straight Suction
Brush roll vacuums usually carry one or two motors that provide suction and also turn the agitator brush. With brush roll attachment, you can clean synthetic carpet surfaces, for example, polyester, nylon or olefin. On the other hand, straight suction vacuums are used for cleaning smooth floors and carpets. They are easy to go under most furniture and even tight spots.
When purchasing any vacuum cleaner for stairs, the key thing is that it keeps on working well and should last for a long time. Before landing on a specific model, there are a number of different questions that you should ask yourself. More features equate to a higher price, so always make your final choice wisely.
If you have to clean lots of rugs or wall to wall carpet then straight vacuum cleaners, especially those with a bag are a good choice for you. However, if you have carpeted stairs, then, cannisters are easy to maneuver and work well on tile, hardwood and other types of hard surfaces. In addition, handheld vacuums are ideal for cleaning something that needs quick attention like spilled cereal.
If you are investing in a vacuum for carpeted stairs and upholstery, then a handheld vacuum can be quite helpful. It helps you avoid the hassle of handling large vacuums and saves you countless minutes because of its effortless maneuverability. Moreover, you can also use small vacuums for quickly cleaning a bathroom floor.
If you’ve any further suggestions for best vacuum for stairs, don’t forget to leave your feedback in the comments section below.
- Top Rated Vacuums for Stairs Comparison Chart
- Best Vacuum for Stairs 2020 Reviews – (Updated List)
- 1. Shark Navigator Lift Away Professional NV356E
- 2. Hoover Max Extract FH50220 Vacuum Cleaner
- 3. Eureka Easy Clean 71B Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- 4. Hoover BH52160PC Hand Vacuum Cleaner
- 5. Bissell 4122 Bagged Canister Vacuum
- Features to Consider When Selecting the Best Vacuum for Stairs
- FAQ’s about Stair Vacuums
- Wrap Up